Location and Lodging
The deadline to book a room at the conference hotel has passed, but you can still book a negotiated rate of $189 (plus taxes) at our overflow hotel, Embassy Suites La Paloma Village, at 3110 East Skyline Drive, Tucson, Arizona, 85718. Reservations may be made online or by calling 1-800-EMBASSY or the hotel directly at +1 520-352-4000, option 3. Reference the Intercultural Competence Conference or group code ICC. (Please keep in mind that while the rate is available three days before and after the conference, the online method will not work for these days and you will need to call the hotel directly.)
Booking deadline: Extended to January 13, 2020. Cancellations must be made 7-days before arrival.
The rate includes breakfast, an evening happy hour, and a shuttle that will take guests within a 5-mile radius of the hotel. Although Loews is outside of the “normal” shuttle radius (at 6 miles), there will be specific drop off/pick-up times based on the conference schedule of events.
The 2020 Intercultural Competence conference will be held at the Loews Ventana Canyon Resort in Tucson, Arizona (7000 N. Resort Drive, Tucson, Arizona, 85750; phone +1-520-299-2020).
Nestled in the foothills of the Santa Catalina Mountains, Loews Ventana Canyon is one of Tucson’s premier resort lodging options that is far enough from the city to offer dark skies and a full desert experience. For the active conference attendee, Ventana Canyon has:
- A walking trail with an 80-foot waterfall located on the property itself
- Nearby stunningly beautiful Sabino Canyon offers another 30 miles of trails (the resort provides van transfers three times a day)
- An 18-station parcourse fitness trail in the grounds
- An 18-hole golf course
- Tennis courts
- Swimming pools
- A fitness room
- A sauna and steam room
For the not so active attendee, the spa offers many relaxing options. Parking and in-room wifi are free, the resort fee is waived for conference registrants staying at the hotel, and you will have discounted rates on fitness activities and classes, and on golf greens fees. The hotel can also help you find licensed babysitters, and their Coyote Kids Club offers daytime childcare (the hotel advises 5-10 days advance notice for the latter).
If you have time to arrive early or stay on after the conference, this is a good opportunity to take advantage of the special rate that we have secured at a luxurious resort during Tucson’s high tourist season (the conference rate is good three days before and after the event).
Making a Reservation
Rooms may be reserved over the phone by dialing +1 800-234-5117 and asking for the Intercultural Competence Conference 2020 rate, or online by clicking on the button below. The deadline for booking at the conference rate has passed and the resort may charge more now and/or be unable to provide accommodations. The special group rates was: $199 single/double, $224 triple, $249 quad per night (plus tax, currently 12.05%). The special rate is available three days before and after the conference, based on availability. When reservations are made, the hotel will require a deposit equal to the room rate and tax for the first night. Please note that reservations must be canceled a minimum of 7 days in advance of the first night’s stay to avoid a cancellation fee. You can contact the hotel here.
Transportation from/to Tucson International Airport at Loews Ventana Canyon
Loews Ventana Canyon is 19 miles from Tucson International Airport (TUS). The hotel does not have a shuttle to the airport, but there are several other transportation options available. Click the links below for more information about a particular method of transportation:
- Uber (approximate rates from TUS to Ventana Canyon)
- UberX: $30
- UberXL: $50
- Lyft (approximate rates from TUS to Ventana Canyon
- Lyft (4 seats): $30-35
- Plus (6 seats): $50-60
- VIP cab, Yellow Cab
- Rates are set at $5.50 for flag drop and $2.25 per mile
- There are a number of shuttle companies that operate within the Tucson area. Contact a company directly for information about fares.
- Car Rental
- There are seven companies from which one can rent a vehicle at the airport. Contact a company directly for rates.
Location of the Loews Ventana Canyon Resort
Loews Ventana Canyon is not in downtown Tucson and since there is no metro system in Tucson or extensive network of public transportation near the hotel, you may find it best to stay at the hotel if you will not have a vehicle while you are at the conference. However, the resort does have limited capacity to transport guests to nearby shopping and dining locations; you can ask at Guest Services.
Where to Eat and Shop
Tucson has a lot to offer when it comes to delicious cuisine and unique shopping! We will place a restaurant and shopping guide on this website to assist you during your stay in Tucson. In the meantime, you can take a look at the five dining options at the hotel, and also find a variety of restaurants in the Ventana Village Shopping Center, where there are also banks, a large supermarket, and a pharmacy. This center is a little over a mile south of the resort on Sunrise Drive and Kolb Avenue (an Uber ride is about $6).
Other Lodging Options
For AirbnB options near the conference hotel, click here.
Other hotels in the area:
- Comfort Suites, 5 miles away and a c.$10 Uber ride, may be around $120 plus tax.
- Westin La Paloma, 5 miles
- Homewood Suites, 7.5 miles
We also created a facebook group for people who are looking for roommates. Like the ICC page on facebook and request access to the group there.
The snowbirds are right: Tucson is spectacular in the winter! While the city may boast average temperatures in the upper 60s to lower 70s in late January, you may be fortunate to get a glimpse of snow in the Santa Catalina Mountains, soaring above at 9,000 ft.
Below are some resources that can help you plan your trip to the Tucson area:
- The city’s Convention and Visitor’s bureau offers a general overview of the attractions in and around Tucson.
- Sabino Canyon is one of Tucson’s largest canyons and is just 2.5 miles from Ventana Canyon Resort. It is accessible both by tram and by foot, and usually has a river running through it in the winter. For the heartier of hikers, the Phoneline Trail and Blackett’s Ridge Trail leave the basin of Sabino Canyon for spectacular views overlooking the canyon and city.
- Tohono Chul Park is a botanical gardens situated 9.5 miles from Ventana Canyon. It has walking trails, art galleries, and a Bistro that serves southwestern cuisine and is well known to locals for its afternoon tea.
- The Arizona-Sonora Desert museum is an outdoor museum located in the Tucson Mountains (approximately 45 min driving from the resort). Part museum and part zoo, it showcases the ecology of the surrounding desert and is a truly unique destination.
- The University of Arizona and the nearby University Avenue, 4th Avenue, and downtown areas have a number of restaurants and lots of shopping.
- Staying on in Tucson after the conference? Tucson’s Gem and Mineral Show is justly famous. Officially it starts on February 1st, but roadside attractions begin before that all over town. It is the largest gem show in the U.S. and there are many bargains to be found!